WEEKLY BONE AGE ESTIMATION QUIZ
Learning Objective- Sharpen Skills for bone age estimation
Q. What is the bone age of a male whose X ray is shown below ?
(You may use atlas method or Tanner Whitehouse)
Q. What is the approximate bone age based on clinical assessment ?
1. The epiphysis of the distal phlaxanx has fused – bone age is surely more than 14 years
2. The distal ulnar epiphysis has not fused – age is <17 year
3. 14-17 years is approximate bone age (wide variation- I would need Atlas of Tanner Whitehouse for perfect estimation)
Q. What is the bone age based on Tanner Whitehouse ?
• TWII- 14.9 years
• TWIII- 15.9 years
Q. What is the bone age by Greulich Pyle method ?
15- 16 years
Q. What is the bone age by Gaskin and Kahn atlas ?
It says 15 years 6 months
Q. Please give the explanation for the bone age based on the Atlas ?
1. The epiphysis of distal phalanges have fused
2. Fusion is about to begin in distal part of 2nd -5th epiphysis of metacarpals
3. 1st metacarpal epiphysis has fused
4. Distal ulnar epiphysis has not fused
Q. What is the key area here ?
The key differentiating feature is fusion of the 1st metacarpal epiphysis which fuses at 15 years and 6 months
NOTE: SOME OF THE VIEWS ARE BASED ON MY PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE. YOU MAY DIFFER IN YOUR VIEWS. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EXPRESS YOU OPINION.